The DeKalb County Commission on Tuesday approved multiple resignations and new hires for the DeKalb County Sheriff’s Office.
Commission President Ricky Harcrow was absent, and District 3 Commissioner and President Pro-tem Chris Kuykendall presided over the meeting.
Newly appointed DeKalb County Sheriff Nick Welden presented the commission with the list of more than two dozen names of resignations, retirements, new hires and transfers.
Welden was sworn in early to his position on New Year’s Day and is holding to his campaign promotions of reforming the sheriff’s office.
“By the professional choices and decisions we made up front, we proved that we have a professional team and true leadership,” Welden said. “I’m not saying that about myself. I’m saying that about the men and women that work across that hill and the men and women that are here this morning to represent us.”
Welden said the staff has gone “above and beyond” during this first week of change, even working many extra hours to establish the new leadership.
Several new staff members were introduced and recognized at the meeting. Matt Martin, former operations chief of the DeKalb County Emergency Management Agency, has been placed as the chief of communications and EMA liaison. David Smith was appointed as the new jail administrator, and Tyler Pruett is the office’s public relations officer.
Former Mentone Police Chief Brad Gregg will serve as Welden’s chief deputy.
“I would like to thank you and your staff for your efforts the last few days,” Kuykendall said. “We understand how hard you all have worked.”
The following names were approved by the commission for retirement, resignation, new hire or transfer:
Retirements and Resignations
• Michael Edmondson
• Jonathan Langley
• Tiffany Graham
• Ricky Higdon
• Gary Hill
• Gerald Taylor
• Tony Blackwell
• Jake Fowler
• Shannon St. John
• Shari Butler
• Rodney Johnson
• Brad Gregg
• David Smith
• Tyler Pruett
• Kevin Akins
• Wilbur Dunlap
• Divell Bell
• David Davis
• Nick Brown
• Dalton Veal
• Jackie Tanner
• Ron Ogletree
• Jim Phillips
• Matt Martin from Emergency Management Agency
• Wesley Greeson, transfer from school resource officer to investigator
• Priscilla Padgett, transfer from part-time deputy to school resource officer
The commission also:
• approved the striping proposal for County Roads 137, 140 and 141 from J.C. Cheek Contractors Inc. for $22,372.50.
• appointed Michael Posey, deputy director of the DeKalb County Emergency Management Agency, as the new safety coordinator, replacing Matt Martin.
• appointed Tony Taylor to the DeKalb Ambulance Service Board.
• appointed James May and Larry McCallie to the Northeast Alabama Water Board.
• approved to hire Chris Burt as the new fleet manager to maintain county vehicles.
• approved to set the Severe Weather Preparedness Tax Holiday for Feb. 22, 23 and 24.
The next commission meeting is set for Jan. 22 beginning at 10 a.m. in the DeKalb County Activities Building.