Two Fort Payne principles gave their end-of-year presentations to the board on Thursday.
Sally Wheat, principal at Wills Valley Elementary School, discussed the school’s achievements and updates following the recently ended school year. A new assessment program, Pre-K expansion and exemplary staff members were all mentioned. Wheat conducted a slideshow presentation that highlighted each subject that the students are taught, along with photographs and videos of student projects. Wheat said “purposeful play” is an important aspect of WVES.
She also recognized certain staff members for their certifications and achievements throughout the school year.
Heath Shaddox, principal at Williams Avenue Elementary School, gave his “farewell” presentation after announcing his retirement last month.
Shaddox also spoke of student projects, noting the school’s work as one of the 200 schools chosen in Alabama as a “Bicentennial school.” He said students used oral histories of Fort Payne from older members of the community to create art presentations and music with local songwriters.
Shaddox also noted the school’s newest tests, the ACAP and ACCESS assessments, and what measures the school is taking to ensure students are prepared for them.
He thanked the board for allowing him to be a part of the Fort Payne City School system over the years and thanked the entire staff, including CNP workers, custodial staff and resource officers, for “teaching everyday” in Fort Payne.
The principles of Fort Payne Middle and High Schools will lead presentations at next month’s meeting.
The board approved the following items:
• Retirements: Gina Simpson, science teacher at FPHS, effective June 1, 2019.
• Resignations: Lisa McDonough, math coach at WAES, effective July 31, 2019, Renee Fraley, third grade teacher at WAES, effective June 24, 2019, Anastasia Monroe, library media specialist at WVES, effective June 10, 2019.
• Transfers: Ronald Hendricks from ninth grade boys basketball coach to assistant varsity boys basketball coach effective from 2019-20 school year, Jordan Giles from sixth grade teacher at FPMS to assistant principal at FPMS effective July 22, 2019, Ellie Pitts from reading coach at WVES to assistant principal at WVES effective July 22, 2019, Heather Cyrus from system-wide special education teacher to a Pre-K teacher at WVES effective August 1, 2019, Houston Henderson from assistant principal at WVES to kindergarten teacher at WVES effective August 1, 2019, Jana Groghan from kindergarten teacher at WVES to library specialist at WVES effective August 1, 2019, Austin Panell from junior high assistant football coach to junior high head football coach effective for the 2019-20 school year, and Michael Leath from half-time bus driver to full-time bus driver effective August 1, 2019.
• Recommendations: William Patrick Vinson as history teacher at FPHS effective August 1, 2019, William Cole Peters as history teacher at FPHS effective August 1, 2019, Vanessa Chappell as science teacher at FPHS effective August 1, 2019, Brent Tinker as varsity assistant football coach effective for 2019-20 school year, Chrissie Vinson as a seventh and eighth grade science teacher at FPMS effective August 1, 2019, Hannah Locklear as fourth grade teacher at WAES effective August 1, 2019, Jillian Richey as a fourth grade Reading Vertical Leadership Team Representative as WAES effective for 2019-20 school year, Lacie Davis as third grade teacher at WAES effective August 1, 2019, Alyson Smart as system-wide special education teacher effective August 1, 2019, Amanda Wilks as a Pre-K aide at WAES effective August 1, 2019, Brittney Hamilton as Pre-K aide at WAES effective August 1, 2019.
• the following as the 2019 Summer School instructors: Jessica Hayes, English, Brian Hechler, math, Scot Chankles, driver’s education and Sid Jones, driver’s education.
• CNP substitute personnel list.
The advertising and filling of the 2019-20 Home Instruction for Parents and Pre-school Youngsters staff, effective August 1, 2019: one HIPPY Site Program Coordinator and three parent educators.
• the lowest bid substantially in compliance with the specifications in the amount of $80,4486 for the following equipment from Birmingham Restaurant Supply, Inc.: one walk-in freezer with shelving at FPHS and one walk-in cooler with shelving at FPHS.
• the 2019-20 Fort Payne City School System student/parent information for system-wide Code of Conduct, WVES student handbook, WAES student handbook, FPMS student handbook, FPHS student handbook and Extended Day Program parent handbook.
• the creation, advertising and filling of a Data Entry Position – CNP, temporary/part-time position (64 contract days), not to exceed four hours per day, effective August 1, 2019 through October 31, 2019.
• a probationary principal employment contract for Jennifer List for a period of 24 months beginning June 6, 2019 and expiring May 31, 2021.
• declaring the following items as surplus: technology surplus list, CNP equipment surplus list, WVES surplus list and WAES surplus list.
• the May 2019 financial statements and bank reconciliation report.
The next meeting is scheduled for July 25 at 6 p.m. in the conference room of the Central Office.