BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – Alabama Humanities Foundation elected retired DeKalb County Circuit Judge David Rains secretary of its board of directors.
Rains has been serving on the board since 2018.
The Fort Payne resident is a retired Circuit Court Judge for the Ninth Judicial Circuit, having served for 32 years.
A graduate of The University of Alabama and The University of Alabama School of Law, he was selected by the Alabama Circuit Judges’ Association to serve on the Alabama Court of the Judiciary, a nine-member court established by the Alabama Constitution to hear and decide charges of judicial misconduct.
Rains has served on the Board of Directors of the Friends of Alabama Archives and the Fort Payne Depot Museum. The DeKalb County Chamber of Commerce recognized him for his professional and civic contributions by honoring him with the 2017 V.I. Prewett Lifetime Achievement Award.
“We are fortunate to have David Rains’ leadership on our board,” said AHF Executive Director Armand DeKeyser. “He continues to make a significant impact on our mission throughout Alabama.”
Serving on the executive committee are:
• Trey Granger, Pike Road, chair, deputy clerk, US District Court of Middle Alabama
• Dr. Carmen L. Burkhalter, Florence, vice chair, professor of Communication and Dean of Arts and Sciences for the University of North Alabama
• Velma Tribue, Dothan, treasurer, State Farm agent
• David A. Rains, Fort Payne, secretary, retired circuit court judge for Ninth Judicial Circuit
• Ann Florie, Birmingham, Executive Committee-At-Large, retired executive director of Leadership Birmingham
• R.B. Walker, Birmingham, Executive Committee-At-Large, director of Legislative Affairs for Alabama Power Co.
• Michon Trent, Mobile, immediate past chair, senior director of Civic Engagement for the City of Mobile
Newly elected board members are:
• Darren L. Hicks, Birmingham, vice president for Human Resources, Vulcan Materials Co.
• Dr. Elliot A. Knight, Montgomery, executive director of Alabama Council on the Arts
• Ed Mizzell, Birmingham, executive vice president, managing director, Luckie & Co.
• Dr. Mark D. Nelson, Tuscaloosa, professor of Communication Studies and dean of the College of Communication & Information Sciences at The University of Alabama
• Dr. César Roca, Mobile, board certified practicing Orthopaedic surgeon
• Brett Shaffer, Birmingham, head of Community Relations, senior vice president, Regions Bank
• Andy Weil III, Montgomery, Realtor and former president and COO of Weil Brothers – Cotton Inc.