DeKalb Tourism, Inc. is a Destination Marketing Organization with the sole purpose of promoting travel & tourism with the purpose of encouraging economic growth by bringing out of town visitors to DeKalb County. We are working to present a greater awareness of our region’s natural scenic attractions, businesses and unique accommodations.
• To perpetuate economic growth and development through tourism.
• To promote, advertise and publicize natural, historic and man-made attractions.
• To serve in cooperation with state, county and city governments to promote tourism.
• To belong to and work with other tourism organizations, regionally, state-wide and nationally to build relationships that educate and promote a healthy tourism industry.
• To provide outstanding marketing and promotional support to assist in the growth and development of our area.
DeKalb Tourism is the primary organization promoting tourism in DeKalb County. We are a non-profit organization and are funded by county lodging tax, grants and city and county appropriations.
Here are ways that we work for you:
Tourist Information Center - We are open seven days a week to answer questions about our area, give directions and show guests places to go and things to do, where to eat and shop, historical locations, scenic attractions, lodging, parks etc. We promote your business verbally and by giving our customers your printed information. We send visitors to you when they are looking for your kind of business.
Official DeKalb County Visitor’s Guide – We print the single most distributed travel guide promoting DeKalb County. We give our visitor’s guides out in our information center, we mail them out from phone and internet requests, we distribute them at conventions and travel shows, welcome centers, mini markets, hotels, motels, state parks, and many other places all throughout the southeast.
Official County Tourism Website - Our website includes descriptions of tourism-related businesses with a direct link to their website, Facebook and email, and lists phone numbers and addresses. We average 30,000 website visits a month, and we are the primary resource worldwide for people needing travel information about our county. Included in our website is an interactive version of our DeKalb County Visitor’s Guide. We also have links to online videos and news articles. You can request to have your video or article reviewed for inclusion on our website. We recently launched a mobile website as well, so we now have a site for those traveling using mobile devices.
Travel Writers - We work closely with travel writers and other news media to see that articles are regularly considered for publication in magazines and newspapers nationwide. We submit press releases to magazines, newspapers and radio stations to promote travel articles on places, events and businesses in DeKalb County.
State Affiliations - We network closely with the Alabama Mountain Lakes Tourist Association, The Alabama Tourism Department, Alabama Travel Council, Chambers and CVB organizations all across our state.
Here are additional ways we can help you:
• Digital Marquee at one of Fort Payne’s busiest intersections
• Facebook advertising and promotions
• Television advertising campaigns
• Radio Advertising
• Magazine and Newspaper Ads
• Digital ads on various tourism related websites and search engines.
• YouTube videos
• Presence as an exhibitor at state and regional travel shows
• Weekly newspaper column to promote tourism in DeKalb County
• Weekly Blog about the area
• Assistance with member ad campaigns
• Support local activities and festivals
• Provide general information about our county, our towns, municipal services, churches, history, maps and a host of general information for the community, for the traveler and for new residents.
Meet our staff! We are the people who are here to support you! Contact us seven days a week with questions or comments.
• John Dersham
• Kayla Worthey
• Michele Wooden
• Avice Pearson/Office Assistant/ Office@tourdekalb.com 256.845.3957
We encourage you to view our websites, read our travel brochures, check out our social media sites, and come see our visitor’s center. Please make sure that your tourism related business is being represented in all ways we have available to you.
Please do not hesitate to contact us for any questions, concerns or news that you may have.
— John Dersham is president and CEO of DeKalb Tourism.