It was a wet homecoming night for the Geraldine Bulldogs who lost to the Sardis Lions, 19-14.

Sardis opened the game by receiving the ball on the 27-yard line on kickoff. They managed to move the ball down the field for a first down but were forced to punt after a fumble and incomplete pass.

Geraldine recovered the punt on the 14-yard line and made two short running plays, making it third-and-4 on the 19-yard line. Kyle Thackerson caught a long pass and was brought down on the 45-yard line for a gain of 26 yards. The Bulldog’s momentum was halted by an offsides penalty and a tackle deep in the back field by Michael Turner for the Lions.

The Bulldogs held the Lions to a four-and-out and gained 22 yards from a 10-yard and 12-yard pass to Caleb Hall. Another false start penalty slowed them down at the end of the first quarter, leaving them zero to zero on their 45-yard line, third down with 14 yards to go. 

Geraldine punted to start the second quarter and Sardis recovered the ball on their own 22-yard line. Quarterback Jay Owens threw a 12-yard pass to Caleb Fuller who was brought down on the 34-yard line.

At third-and-5 on the 40-yard line, Bulldog DJ Graham got a pick and ran the ball for 35 yards to the end zone, putting Geraldine on the board with 9:22 left in the half.

Geraldine attempted an onside kick, but the ball went out of bounds around the 40-yard line, giving Sardis good field positioning.

Owens threw a long pass to Jacob Hopper who ran two more yards before being brought down on the Bulldog’s 25-yard line. A fumble and incomplete pass forced them back to fourth-and 15. The Lions went for the first down with a pass to Hopper, but he was tackled on the 22-yard line.

The Bulldogs got the turnover-on-downs but didn’t hold onto it for long. Brayden Bridges intercepted the ball for Sardis with six minutes left in the half. The Lions’ offense made a slow drive down the field which ended in a touchdown by Owens, who waltzed into the end zone on second and goal with 3 minutes 19 seconds remaining in the half. The two teams ended the half tied at 7-7.

Bo Harper downed the ball on the 37-yard line for Geraldine. After a few short runs, Bridges intercepted the ball for Sardis and was brought down close to their own end zone on the 7-yard line. Luke Morris carried the ball for 15 yards to the 22-yard line. Geraldine got two penalties called against them — facemask and defensive block in the back — making it first and 10 for Sardis on the 46-yard line. 

Owens made a long pass to Temon Wilson who was brought down on the 12-yard line. On second down, Morris took a handoff and ran the ball in for another Sardis touchdown. They missed the extra point, bringing the score to 7-13  late in the third.

Sardis got a facemask penalty called on them on kickoff, giving the Bulldogs the ball on the Lions’ 32-yard line. Brian Carnes had a 14-yard run followed by Elijah Delgado who ran for six. Carnes caught the ball on the 13-yard line and ran it in for a touchdown the 50 seconds left in the third quarter, which ended with Geraldine leading by one with a score of 14-13. 

Sardis scored an 18-yard touchdown off a pass to Hopper who ran the ball in with 10 minutes and 52 seconds to go in the game, bringing the score to 14 - 19 in Sardis’ favor.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.